Saturday, August 27, 2005

 

A Muni Strike?

By Angela Generoso, Online Managing Editor

September 1 marks a momentous disappointment for broke college students surviving on minimum wage in this overpriced, metropolitan city.

The San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni) is raising its fare from $1.25 to $1.50.

As a poor college student myself, I find the fare increase egregiously painful, and I don't know how I'm going to cough up yet another quarter to sit on those lovely brown and tan plastic bus seats...

However, I am baffled by the proposed Muni strike.

According to www.socialstrike.net, Muni drivers and riders must work together to achieve their goal: To get Muni to repeal the fare hike, and reverse all service cuts and layoffs.

How it works: Riders won't pay to ride Muni and drivers won't ask for a fare.

Wait, is that right? Does that mean I CAN RIDE MUNI FOR FREE UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR FARE BACK TO $1.25?

I don't buy it.

As one of many unfortunate people, I too have received a Muni ticket. $110 for not paying to ride the smelly, overcrowded N-Line that I SWEAR comes less often than the other lines...

With over 700,000 Muni riders in San Francisco I could see maybe a quarter of them participating in the strike. But that is definitely not enough to make the slightest difference.

And doesn't that just mean that more Muni cops will be on the lookout and more tickets will be distributed?

I guess over the next few weeks we'll see if it really works...and if it does, I will happily stop purchasing my Muni fare...

Anything for a good cause, right?


See related story at [X]Press News Online

Comments
Muni Rules! Yessss!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home