Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

The Downside to the Student Health Center

Story by Allison Bloch

Every semester we pay $102 in student health fees.

Despite the controversy regarding on-campus medical facilities vs. city clinics, I still wait at least an hour to be seen at the Student Health Center.

It really is comforting to know if I went to the center with my eye falling out of my head, gushing blood they might see me…in about three hours.

Who is to blame for inadequate on-campus health care?

It seems as though funding is being taken away from the most important thing in our lives: our health.

Two years ago I was stuck at SF State during winter break, and I got sick. Upon visiting the Student Health Center I was told nothing could be done for me, and I had either mono or strep throat.

Well that was just super.

After waiting around for an hour I got a pat on the back, a thermometer, and a handful of cough drops.

Years later it hasn’t changed much.

I hurt my arm last Tuesday scrubbing the floor at my work. After being called in to be seen I was told they couldn’t see me because of worker’s compensation.

I was to go back to work and ask who I could see to get the pain taken care of.

I know it’s not those who work in the Student Health Center who are to blame, but the system needs improvement. There needs to be a better way for students to receive health care.

But for now, I am suffering paying $102 every semester for this crap.

Comments Post a Comment



<< Home