Saturday, September 03, 2005

 

The Truth About Sororities

By Allison Bloch, staff writer

Remember those annoying girls in the quad?

They’re the bubbly ones that won’t leave you alone, who are who are trying to get you to join their cult- oh, I mean sorority?

I have a confession. I used to be one of them.

Now some of you may be surprised. Some may be disgusted. And some of you may not even care. But for a brief, brief period of time I was one of those girls
you would avoid in the quad.

In order to protect the innocent ones, I’m not going to name any names; and of course I don’t really want to make fun of those girls… but I will.

It’s the evil side of me.

What should have really turned on my red flags was the fact that I paid for friends.

Granted, at the time I didn’t think that was what I was doing, but really in these groups you are paying money for your friends. This is one step away from making them hang out with you and seems to be one door down from prostitution.

Walking through the Quad and having one of the girls come up to me to try and
to get me to join makes me laugh. I remember being on the opposite end,
looking at “prospective sisters” and picking and choosing who we would talk
to. It’s funny to think there is a “type” of girl you would talk to.

Who makes this criteria? Who are you to say who would or wouldn’t want to
join your sorority? Does this girl have to be a “real- life Barbie”? And
does that mean punks, goths, sluts, geeks, stoners, hippies, and other stereotypical “outsiders” can’t be sorority girls?

And once one is invited into the sorority and the initial fees are paid, you still
have to spend more money. Sweatshirts, clothes, parties, and other crap is not required for you to buy, but STRONGLY encouraged. You pretty much have to be really rich to join and stay in the sorority.

As I sit in the quad and look at the various brightly colored tables with
assorted crap arranged in an effort to entice people to join, all I can do is shake my head.

I should have realized all this when I was ashamed to say I was in a sorority and I constantly had to defend myself from the fact that joining was a big mistake.

Although sororities weren’t for me, if it’s for you- go for it.

Just remember: you’ll have to be one of those annoying girls in the quad

Comments
my sister just joined a sorities the Deltas here in Florida. I am afraid that she has made the wrong choice financially and and with whatever else comes along with this
 
Post a Comment



<< Home