Wednesday, October 05, 2005

 

Terrorism Accepted as "Part of Life"

By Angela Generoso, Online Managing Editor

Residents and Tourists in Bali are claiming they have accepted terrorism as a 'part of life', and are trying not to live in fear of future attacks, according to SFgate.com.

I don't know what bothers me more: The fact that terrorists are targeting gorgeous tropical vacation spots in their attacks, or that the people are accepting it into their lives. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

When I was a kid I remember reading about Bali in National Geographic. The article described the island as one of the ten most beautiful places on Earth.

Reading the stories following Saturday's bombing this week has left me sad...mostly because since we are in the beginning of Ramadan, the Muslim population of Indonesia finds Bali's party atmosphere offensive.

What about Vegas? Or Ibiza? Or Buenos Aires? There are tons of cities with offensive party atmospheres.

Now security is to be heightened, police control is to be stricter, and life in general will be a little bit harder for the Balinese.

Growing up in Los Angeles, I remember seeing my first bullet-proof window at Taco Bell. The first thing that went through my mind was that there isn't really a reason for bullet-proof glass to be up in a Taco Bell...it wasn't a bank. There couldn't have been more than $400 in cash in the safe.

What were they going to rob them for? Steak Gorditas?

Was that Taco Bell's way of saying violence was accepted, and we weren't going to live in fear, but now we're prepared just in case it happens?

Like the Balinese, I don't want to live in fear, and I understand times are changing...dangerous situations are far more prevalent now than they were a decade ago.

But I just cannot see terrorism as "part of life." Life is too short for that sort of idealism.

Comments
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home