Monday, February 20, 2006

 

School Needs More Athletic Support

Story by Mark Howell

There are many problems with San Francisco State University such as budget cuts and increase in tuition, but the problem I think that should be addressed is the lack of athletic support this university gets.

One of the main reasons that we do not have athletic support from the school is because we do not have a football team. The last time San Francisco State had a football team was about 10 years ago and then it got to expensive to keep and so they got rid of it. I believe this was a big mistake by the university because by getting rid of the football team meant that you could lose your support from former sport alumnus. In my opinion, football is the greatest sport ever and it draws the most viewers and generates the most money and so why would the school ever get rid of a sport that can actually help the school financially?

Another reason why school athletics does not have support is that our sports programs are not that good. Now, do not get me wrong, I am not saying that we have bad athletes, I am just saying that we need to have a stronger program in order to win. I played high school football and we had a winning season my junior year because our football program was good, but when my senior came around, the program lacked disipline and we had a losing season. So I believe a key to a winning season, especially for our basketball team , is to have more disipline in the program. And in result our teams at school may start to win a few games which will draw more fan support and students will actually start coming to the games.

Sports are a big thing, especially in college, and I don't see no reason why we shouldn't have good sports teams. We have plenty of good athletes that want to play but that urge to play will soon die off if you are not winning. And winning is the key because as I said, once teams start to win, there will be more fan support and people will start to attend games. Even alumni will start to take notice and will probably donate money to the sports programs.

And I don't believe the university is doing anything to encourage students to have more support in school athletics. One of the reasons why I believe this true is because they tried to get rid of all sports including intermural sports last year because of budget cuts. But thankfully, there were enough sports fans at SF State to save sports at SF State. I know a lot of people that would have been angry if the vote when the universities way because there are still some sports fans at SF State that don't want to see sports at school fade away. They already got rid of our football team because of budget cuts, what's next?

Comments Post a Comment



<< Home