Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

Starbucks- is it really that safe?

Story by Allison Bloch

Starbucks is known as one of the largest coffee companies in the world. Perhaps it is not the best cup of joe you can get, but it is definitely everywhere you look. Starbucks prides itself on its six “guiding” principles and attached mission statement. Number one is “provide a great work environment and treat each other with respect and dignity.” But is this always true?

Recently, Starbucks announced that they will install high-tech sensors to detect tampering with its cargo containers that are filled with coffee beans when shipped from Guatemala to Europe or to the United States. But do they provide security and safety for their partners in stores that are in high risk areas?

How do I know this or even question it? Because I work there.

I work at the Starbucks on Market, next to a Methadone clinic and on the cusp of being considered in the Tenderloin. Every day, various incidents happen. Take for example the day when a homeless man in a wheelchair came in, stole the tips off the counter and tried to get a few sandwiches in the process. Me and my two other co-workers stopped him, but where was our security?

How about the time when a man demanded free coffee and when a co-worker of mine said 'we can’t do that' he refused to leave and proceeded to follow him around the store? And what about the time a homeless man came into the store, screamed he needed an ambulance and then threw up all over the condiment bar and window?

Where was our security then? And who was going to clean that mess up--- you guessed it, yours truly.

I have worked for Starbucks for almost four years, obviously I like something about this company. But now, as I work 5 days a week in the TL, I wonder how is Starbucks going to protect me.

Starbucks explained to me and my manager that we could not be offered security because we are attached to an apartment complex who has security in the building, but these rent-a-cops aren’t available to our store 24 hours a day- heck when we need them they aren’t even at their security desk most of the time.

What I find odd is the two Starbucks down the street from us (one just a block away and the other 3 blocks away) both have a security system up in place. One has a security guard in the store at all times and the other has cops patrol the store every hour. So where is our security guard?

I hate to think that Starbucks would really risk their workers safety just because they don’t want to shell out some more money to protect those who sling coffee for them every day, seven days a week. I guess only time- or crazy people- will tell.

Comments Post a Comment



<< Home