Monday, October 30, 2006

 

Wouldn't it be Nice...?


Story by
Curtis Steudeman

I have a list of lifetime goals that I try to keep in my head. One is to drive 200 miles per hour. Another is to run a marathon. Finally, one is to go to the World Series. Check on that last one.

Last Thursday I went to Game 4 of the 2006 World Series in St. Louis. I was already planning on going to St. Louis for a journalism convention, and ever since August I had a good feeling that the St. Louis Cardinals would go all the way this year. About a week before my trip, still before the Cards had secured their World Series spot, I entered a drawing on the Cardinals Web site for World Series ticket rights. I won my rights in the second round and was able to purchase two standing room tickets (The best available).

Once I arrived in St. Louis that Thursday, the electricity in the streets was incredible. On my way to the stadium I walked behind Magglio Ordonez, the Tigers power hitter who belted the homerun that finished the sweep of the Oakland Athletics in the ALCS.

I went to the box office and picked up my World Series tickets. There was something about having them in my hand. They felt different. Smelled different, too. I knew that I could sell the pair on the spot for almost $500. Not a chance.

When the gates opened, we were one of the first inside the new stadium. Bright neon lights, loyal fans, and the smell of grilled hot dogs filled the stadium.

The game itself was one of the best I’ve ever seen. The back-and-forth scoring inspired the spinning of rally towels and countless cheers. The eventual win couldn’t have been written better. A botched diving catch gave up the go-ahead run and the Cardinals closed out the game as they have so many times before.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Cardinals since Tony LaRussa and several Athletics moved to the organization back in the 1990’s. It was really special to see a team work so hard, knowing that so much was on the line.

There is only one thing that I’d change about the experience, though.

I can’t wait to see the Giants in a similar position. Although, I must be honest, I’ll have so much invested in a Giants World Series emotionally, I’m not sure I can stomach it.

Comments Post a Comment



<< Home