Friday, December 08, 2006

 

A Potential Holiday Disaster


Story by
Bernadette Blanco

Last Thursday, more than 1,000 people were killed in the Philippines after a violent typhoon hit several villages near Mount Mayon and other provinces. According to the several news outlets, the winds reached up to 139 mph. The aftermath of the storm has been certainly damaging and costly for this developing country. There have been dangerous mudslides and violent storms. Some doctors fear the aftermath will also increase the risk of airborne and water-borne diseases. The president of the Philippines, Gloria Arroyo, declared a state of national calamity, according to Yahoo! News.

I heard about the news last Saturday from a friend of mine. She told me about it after I mentioned to her that I would be going to the Philippines to visit my grandmother and cousins at the end of the year. I was disappointed with myself for not finding out about the news sooner. I should have known what was happening -- I am a student journalist, I have family there, and I am going to the Philippines in a couple of weeks!

It was a major travesty that has left thousands homeless and hundreds missing. Fortunately for me, no one in my family was hurt or affected by the typhoon. But after seeing all of those photos on TV and online news outlets, it really got to me. The aftermath of this horrible event cannot be ignored and I certainly want to help out in any way that I can when I go and visit. My mom and I have already bought food and clothes to bring and donate when we get there. I know my help might be small, but it will hopefully make a difference.

The typhoon has also hit parts of Vietnam and just recently, in an article from Reuters, weather forecasters predict that another major typhoon will soon be hitting the Philippines. It is shocking and devastating to hear that another one will be hitting the country and causing more damage to the people and the land.

I began searching for articles about what was being done to help the impacted areas. Countries like Guam, China, Indonesia, and Australia are donating funds to help victims with food and shelter.

The country is facing a lot of problems. I also read an article about terrorist warnings in the Philippines. An article from a British Web site, warned tourists to stay away from the province Cebu and the island Mindanao. The travel warnings have increased more than ever this year.

This is going to be a troublesome time for those who are visiting, especially for those who have loved ones who were affected by the typhoon.

Comments Post a Comment



<< Home