Monday, March 19, 2007

 

What’s Your Final Answer?

By Katie Cox

I have been doing thumb exercises since the age of eight. Each day taking full advantage of those small fleshy stumps which separate me from other mammals and will make me rich one day. I have it down to a science. I know which categories to avoid: opera, sports and the Bible, and which to wager big on: American history, pop- culture, movies, music or science. I dream in rows of glowing blue boxes and I think in the form of a question.

A person who knows when Alex shaved his ‘stache off and who believes that Ken Jennings is a robot created in the likeness of Joseph Smith to put Mormonism on the map: What is a Jeopardy Junkie?

Many programs have tried to compete, only to be scoffed and snubbed by Jeopardy junkies –individuals that truly believe they are destined to stand behind that podium and are appalled by Regis Philbin, as Jeopardy is clearly the only intelligent game show on TV. We walk among you. You may identify us only by our tendency to turn up missing at exactly 7p.m. western standard time. I am the first to admit that I lie awake, fuming over the five to seven minutes that Trebek takes to interview the contestants because that is precious time which could be better spent on squeezing in another round.

With that said, I am pleased…elated even…to report that Jeopardy made history on the evening of March 16, 2007, with an unheard of three-way tie between its contestants, resulting in tonight’s playoff. According to a mathematician hired by the show, the odds of this occurrence are one in 25 million.

The contestants finished the game after each correctly answering the final question in the category, “Women of the 1930’s”, tying them all at $16,000. The answer to the question, “ Who, as a waitress, once served on of the men that shot her,” with the obvious answer being Bonnie Parker of Bonnie and Clyde.

While the tie is exciting within the Jeopardy-lovin’ community, I am a little skeptical. The chance that all three players wagered just enough to tie is rare, but come on…the chance that all three players got that question right is like one in two. If the question had been a bit more challenging, then maybe I could give it more credit.

Nonetheless, as an aspiring contestant and a self- proclaimed “junkie”, I am always thrilled when Jeopardy makes headlines. I have grown up with the show and have had the privilege to enjoy 22 out of its 23 yearlong run thus far. So congratulations and good luck tonight to Jamey Kirby of Gainesville, Fla.; Anders Martinson of Union City, Calif.; and Scott Weiss of Walkersville, Md.

I will be watching.

Comments Post a Comment



<< Home